Ok, so what do we do about it?

The answer is easy.  Light chassis (something like the Insight in nature) and a *mechanical* pump TDI (yes, I can get them, NO electronics needed).  Motor is $3800...so chassis that leaves quite a bit of money and still be afordable. (IE, an affordable new car shouldn't be much over $10k in my book).  TDI is a tough ass 8v that makes great power and incredible fuel mileage for what it is.  Of course, if these vehicles where produced in mass, then the engine wouldn't cost as much, and gives you alot more room for the rest of the vehicle.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg