16v Rear disks on a 8V

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:14:02 -0800 (PST) Jorel Jackson
<jorel140@yahoo.com> writes:
> Ease of maintainance is the big thing. The 16V brakes
> give you greater stopping power. So if you want more
> powerful brakes, do it. The only advantage I've ever
> seen for drum brakes is they are supposedly more
> reliable after you go through mud and water. I was
> going to put some 16V rears on my '85 before I sold it
> to an Audi mechanic. Definately this is somthing worth
> doing...

I'll disagree here. Comming from a racers standpoint, the 16v REAR brake
setup is no better than the stock drums. On the contrary, there are
problems with the rear disc setup in regard to the parking brake lever
freezing. All the other wear items and weight between the 2 setups are
the same.

Now if you were to do a complete 9.4 (8v) to 10" (AKA 16v) conversion,
then the braking is a little better overall. If its just like how he
lists his desired swap then, doing it wont net much in terms of braking
force. Looks cool tho. LOL!!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -AS- #30  2002 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com