OT: HELP! Automagik Golf No Start...

--=======FB46D09=======

At 10:03 PM 2/22/03 -0800, Decker wrote:
>    A new starter will only solve the problem for a short time. Getting
>enough power to the solenoid is crucial on an automatic. My VW mechanic for
>years has been installing a push button starter switch with direct battery
>power and the automatic non- start syndrome is pretty much cured. My 80
>Scirocco automatic was for sale by the previous owner because it had the
>poor start syndrome. They had quit running it a couple of years before I
>bought it when the lady missed work because it wouldn't start. We put a
>charged up battery in turned on the key and it wouldn't hit the starter.
>We jumped from the starter solenoid to the battery and it started. When I
>got it home we installed a push button starter switch direct from the
>battery  by-passing the key and it has started reliably ever since. Now I
>agree that the heat is a problem and the starter probably won't last as long
>as on a stick car but the big problem is the puny VW key switch and starter
>circuit which just can't seem to handle the problem.
>Brian Decker

Or do as Chris DeLong suggested, install the relay kit.  I took his
suggestion for
that, and made my own.  Unfortunately my solenoid was already beyond help(less
than 8volts at the strap) and I replaced it.  It cranks over very nicely
now.  This problem
is not so much an ignition switch issue as it is the solenoid wire getting
so much heat,
and along with the solenoid getting cooked they really need all the volts
they can get.
A push button starter would do the trick, but if you don't want to go
messing around with
the interior looks just relay the solenoid, or hell install a second one as
a backup(just in
case).

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe