OT: HELP! Automagik Golf No Start...

> Either way, its a bandaid repair, replace the starter and be done with
> it.
> Shawn Méze
============================
Hi Shawn;
    A new starter will only solve the problem for a short time. Getting
enough power to the solenoid is crucial on an automatic. My VW mechanic for
years has been installing a push button starter switch with direct battery
power and the automatic non- start syndrome is pretty much cured. My 80
Scirocco automatic was for sale by the previous owner because it had the
poor start syndrome. They had quit running it a couple of years before I
bought it when the lady missed work because it wouldn't start. We put a
charged up battery in turned on the key and it wouldn't hit the starter.
We jumped from the starter solenoid to the battery and it started. When I
got it home we installed a push button starter switch direct from the
battery  by-passing the key and it has started reliably ever since. Now I
agree that the heat is a problem and the starter probably won't last as long
as on a stick car but the big problem is the puny VW key switch and starter
circuit which just can't seem to handle the problem.
Brian Decker