can you adjust valves w/out special tools?

> I just checked the valve clearances on my '83, some are
> as much as .20mm off!  I don't have the special valve
> adjustment tools...

Here's what you're getting yourself into:
<http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/techtips/engine/valveadjustment/>

The feeler guages are a must.  I would consider the valve adjusting tool
a must.  The valve shim pliers are simply an excuse to buy another tool
:)

Valve shims are cheap enough I wouldn't waste my time with a trip to a
junk yard.  Figure out what sizes you need, and go buy them.

Even if you have to buy tools, it will still be cheaper than paying
someone to do the work.  AND you'll have the tools and experience to do
it again.

Greg :)  1985 VW Scirocco 2.0L 8V
http://www.DriversFound.com
http://www.GAKMotorsports.com