can you adjust valves w/out special tools?

--0-1091781476-1045785983=:78802

I just checked the valve clearances on my '83, some are as much as .20mm off!  I don't have the special valve adjustment tools and can't afford them now, can I just take the cam off, check the discs, put it all back together and then order the right discs?(eventually repeating the process when the discs arrive).  The only reason I'm having second thoughts about this is because Poor Richards "how to keep your Rabbit Alive" book says if you don't have the special tools, have the dealer do it!  And usually that book is good about telling you whether you can do something without special tools... thanks-

Rob