16v 2.0l engine, N/A stats??

>Scott may be on to something here. How much time do you spend at full
>throttle? As soon as you let up at all it will start charging again. If the
>alternator (high amps) is in good condition I don't see any problem with
>this set up. So Scott can I have a copy of the schematic that you are
>thinking about for this?

Although he may be on to something, there's some key points missing.

It's not the current that would be the issue.  I'm sure the battery has
plenty of current available to deliver the car what it needs.  What I'm
talking about is a voltage drop.  It would not 'fade away' as you might
think.  The alternator stops working, the voltage drops immediately, no
matter how good and healthy the alternator might be.  If you look at what
the coil does, it takes a 12 V high amperage circuit and turns it into
thousands of volts w/ hardly any current.  We must realize that the input
voltage -> output voltage is directly related.  2 Volts is a big chunk of
the total voltage input (14.4V).  I would imagine it would transfer into a
huge loss on the other side of the coil (hundreds of volts).

An obvious workaround would be a higher voltage battery.  A lot of drag cars
already have higher voltage batteries, for the very reason that they deliver
more voltage into the ignition system to produce a more powerful spark.

Otherwise maybe a capacitor of some sort might be able to hold the voltage
up for short bursts, or some other sort of voltage stabilizing device.

Going by the seat-of-the-pants difference it makes to simply upgrade the
factory ground cables, I'd say there's no way the extra horsepower would
outweigh the voltage loss.  I figure I gained at least 5 hp simply by
freeing the electrons.  Evidence?  I gained 1.5 Volts at the coil - that's
gotta make a difference.  I noticed a whole slew of advantages: more power,
smoother running, better starting, more revvy, brighter bulbs, better fuel
economy...etc.

Any electrical device will operate less powerfully when you lower the
voltage, unless it has its own regulated power supply.

Vince