16v 2.0l engine, N/A stats??

> So when you jam the throttle, the alternator cuts out freeing 5-10 hp?

Yes, precisely.

> Then since there's no alternator the car's voltage drops from 14.4V to
12.2V.

That's okay. This would be only the second car that I've ever driven that
charged at above 12.5V. lol With a deepcycle battery installed, I'll have
plenty of backup juice to handle brief outtages in the charging system.

> All those fancy new electrical pumps will run much nicer at 14V than at
12V,

I'm sure that's true. However, I doubt that I'll need the power steering at
all when I'm at 100% throttle. Considering how short the outtages would be,
the teeny bit of output lost by the under-powered water pump will not be
missed.

> ...not to mention your ignition circuit.  Try taking your car for a rip
> without the alternator plugged in.  It defenately will be slower due to
less > voltage reaching the coil, transferring into less voltage out of the
coil,
> less voltage to the sparkplug, less powerful spark!

I dunno, meng. This idea isn't mine. Rather it came from one of my drag
racing buddies. I've also discovered that even some stock cars perform this
function. Furthermore, I've got a TEC-II management system with coil packs.
As far as I know so long as the ECU operates and the system has 12v or more,
I'll get a longer-lasting/fatter spark than was ever available from any
factory system. I surely am no engineer and can't discuss this in any
specific detail. However, I suspect that any losses that I'll suffer will
offset much more by the gains.

MMMV <-- that's "my mileage may vary"
--
Scott F. Williams