From: Vince Royer [mailto:vince@performancecarstereo.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 12:14 PM
To: Scott F. Williams; Kevin S; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: 16v 2.0l engine, N/A stats??

> P.S. My latest mods are/will be an electrically-driven water pump,
> electrically drive power steering pump, and a kill circuit that
> switches the
> alternator off at wide open throttle. This should free up *several* hp.
> Yeehah!"
>
> --

So when you jam the throttle, the alternator cuts out freeing 5-10 hp?  Then
since there's no alternator the car's voltage drops from 14.4V to 12.2V.
All those fancy new electrical pumps will run much nicer at 14V than at 12V,
not to mention your ignition circuit.  Try taking your car for a rip without
the alternator plugged in.  It defenately will be slower due to less voltage
reaching the coil, transferring into less voltage out of the coil, less
voltage to the sparkplug, less powerful spark!  Its a good idea put unless
I'm missing something I would reconsider.