JE Pistons & block assembly

> When
> reading the instructions the rings are "file fit"
> meaning you have to file them down to the correct
> spec.

Yup.

> It says to do this using a "ring file"  Does
> anyone out there know if a "ring file" is any
> different than a regular file?

ABSOLUTELY! Even the kinds of ring files that you and
I can afford are considered rudimentary by some snobby
engine builders, but I was told it should be OK as
long as you're very careful. Here's an example of the
elusive beast (a good bit cheaper than I found it for,
you lucky bastid!)

<http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=85487&prmenbr=361>

That's Jegs item 555-80514, if the link doesn't work.

> Also, Has anyone out
> there installed JE's themselves.

Yup.

> I will have a
> machine shop do the bore/hone/cleaning/rod resizing,
> but I would like to assemble it myself and want to
> make sure its as straigt foward as I think it is.  I
> mean I should be all set as long as I use assembly
> lube and position the rings properly right?  Any
> info
> is appreciated.

I bought a "how to build a high-performance small
block chevy" book. I fugured an engine is an engine,
right? Gave me a LOT of tips that I wouldn't have
known to do otherwise. Like how to properly clean the
block, etc. Of course, you'll need to use the specs
from the bentley, JE, etc. The V8 specs aren't going
to work well for you. :)

You'll need some sturdy calipers that read .001", a
similar dial indicator with magnetic stand (get these
from harbour freight...CHEAP but plenty accurate),
piston ring pliers, piston/ring install tool (I
couldn't find anything better than the crappy ones
from my FLAPS, anyone got better?), feeler gauges, and
some other junk. The Chevy book will tell you just
about everything.

Clean the snot out of everything, and measure
everything twice yourself before assembly. No matter
how good your machinist thinks he is, it's YOUR
engine!

Make sure you get your block bored/honed with a torque
plate. JE requires it, and I've been told it's a good
idea for any VW engine. Be warned that this may make
finding a suitable machine shop difficult.

Stu at BSIracing.com did my block. He recommended that
for a street engine, the cylinders should be bored to
closer tolerances than JE recommends unless you're
running real high boost. He says a street engine will
never cause the piston to expand like a road-race
engine, and that the first street JE block he did
still has a little knock in it even after warming up
fully, though it is still running fine several years
later. BTW, Stu feels JE is "a complete waste of
money", so be prepared for his opinion if you call
him. :)

Neal