Throttle

You've got a Pierburg 2E2 carb, right?

I have had the same thing happen on my 86 GT

My neighbour had the same thing happen on her 88 Golf driver

In both cases it was due to the wiring on the back left of the carb (as
viewed from the front of the engine bay) breaking due to the engine
rocking. This would manifest as the car suddenly picking up to 4000rpm+
while cruising... the connector and length of wire to the bulkhead was
replaced and it was fine until the connector fell off again 2 years
later...

--Andrew