Coil over kit recommendations?

Neal wrote:
> A somewhat common thing is to use shortened and
> modified A2 front strut housings to allow the use of
> A2 Koni double-adjustable front struts on an A1 and to
> also allow for more travel on a lowered car.

I've heard of this done (seen it, actually), but I don't understand why one
must use the A2 front housing. I mean, if it has to be shortened to fit the
A1 chassis, then how does the A2 strut fit in it? Is that strut specifically
made for the A2? Or, is it the same length as the A1 strut, but wider or
something?

Secondly, how does this set up facilitate more suspension travel? Finally,
how much did you pay for your kit? I'm wondering if I should attempt to
build this myself. The alternative would be to rebuild my Bilstein Sport
front dampers to be adjustable. What do you think of that?

Anyway, I've got a bunch of A2 housings lying around as well as an obsession
for reducing unsprung weight and increasing suspension travel.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut