Coil over kit recommendations?

They're mostly all the same stuff. Just threaded
sleeves, the adjustable lower perchs, upper perches,
and springs.

For most kits, you can slide the front sleeves on a
stock A1 strut housing without modification, but for
the best setup (most adjustment and increased tire
clearance), you'll want to cut the hat off the strut
and then weld a collar onto the strut to hold the
sleeve. This collar is usually included in the kit.

A2 kits won't work (without major strut housing
modification...see below) in an A1.

Make sure you have the correct upper spring perch for
your application. They may have different upper
perches for camber plates vs. stock strut bearings.

A somewhat common thing is to use shortened and
modified A2 front strut housings to allow the use of
A2 Koni double-adjustable front struts on an A1 and to
also allow for more travel on a lowered car. I have
this setup. It isn't cheap, but if you're racing it is
the way to go. If you do anything other than an A1
strut in an A1 housing, just make sure you've got
compatible pieces. :)

My struts/housings/coilovers are from Geoff Zimmer of
Solo Specialties. They're great, and Geoff is cool.
BSI and Ground Control both make great kits too. In
the coilover world, the springs themselves are pretty
much all equivalent, so H&R, Eibach, Carrera, etc. are
all good. I have Carrera myself.

Neal
'77 Scirocco G60
'88 Scirocco 16v