springs

--0-401100213-1044558096=:61023

Hi
Maybe its just where i live then! But after replacing 3 sets of blown Koni Ta's on the front of my car in 5 years due to holes, rides, rocks, expanded expansion joints and other assorted road furniture i've found the front to be tight on space and fragile.
A Punto by comparison with its tractor springs and massive clearance would make our roads feel real good. In fact - i went down an umade farm track in one of those at abour 45 without killing it. A week on the back roads in France will show you what good roads are about. Well surfaced, properly thought out, well cambered, good vision and plenty of speed.
I do however hope you enjoyed your trip here and some of the glorious roads we have which can in places make more turns in 100 yards than you thought feasibly possible. The A93 between Aberdeen and Dundee being one of the best roads i have driven - period, has these.
I will however stick to my guns and say no more than 25mm lower, good bumpstops. Monroe heavy duty poly being effective at stoping the shock meeting the turret and 14" wheels to be the combo. This works for me - it may not for you.

Only roads i've driven on in the US are the Floridian ones up as far as Atlanta - Billiard ball smooth but hey it was a Cadillac of some kind!

Andy

 Decker <boisfort@myhome.net> wrote:Hi Andy;    My wife an I spent a week in November driving a rented Fiat Punta around England. We went from London to Edinburg, accross to Wales down the west side of England to Land' End and then accross southern England to Portsmoth and back to London. We drove motorways, A roads, B roads and put just over 1500 miles on the Fiat. We did a lot of dodging the cars in towns and the roundabouts. In the country the roads were narrow and lined with  hedges, fences, rock walls and houses.  I was totaly amazed at how GOOD the road surface was. I drive all over the states from where I live here in Western Washington and I can't think of anywhere the roads on a whole have better surface than I found in England.     I was recently down to Northern California and drove the back roads I learned to drive on as a kid and my 79 Scirocco ( Lowered about an inch, heavy duty KYB's, 195-60-14's ). It took a lot of punishment from bad patches and chuck holes. I visited a friend in Jamestown in the Gold country another in Sebastapol in Sonoma county and my folks in Pinole. The backroads are much like I left them in the 70s except there is more traffic on them now.Brian DeckerWestern Washington1979 - Scirocco - 1800 Audi engine and a 6 spd tranny1981 - Rabbit turbo 1600 diesel pickup1980 - Dasher 1600 N/A diesel with 5 spd ----- Original Message ----- From: Andy Holmes To: Andrew Basterfield ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 10:33 AMSubject: Re: springs

Hi there
With UK roads 25mm is that most you want and some real good bumpstops.
Koni, PI, Apex - they do 25mm.
Andy
91 Scala i

 Andrew Basterfield <list@cemetery.homeunix.org> wrote: Hi

I've got an 86 GT and I need to replace the springs - one of them is
broken.

I want to use lowering springs but I don't want it to be _too_ low, I
want to maintain some semblance of ride quality. Looking at the space
between my front wheels (14" VW BBS) and arches I don't think there is
room for a 35-40mm drop with much suspension travel left. The springs
are over 15 years old, could it be that they have sagged and the vehicle
already rides substantially lower than it used to?

Has anybody got any experiences with a lowered Scirocco 2?

Can I use Golf GTi mk1 suspension kit (springs+shocks)?

Any experiences/pointers gladly accepted, I have never fitted lowering
springs before.

--Andrew

86 Scirocco GT (UK spec)

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

--0-401100213-1044558096=:61023

<P>Hi
<P>Maybe its just where i live then! But after replacing 3 sets of blown Koni Ta's on the front of my car in 5 years due to holes, rides, rocks, expanded expansion joints and other assorted road furniture i've found the front to be tight on space and fragile.
<P>A Punto by comparison with its tractor springs and massive clearance would make our roads feel real good. In fact - i went down an umade farm track in one of those at abour 45 without killing it. A week on the back roads in France will show you what good roads are about. Well surfaced, properly thought out, well cambered, good vision and plenty of speed.
<P>I do however hope you enjoyed your trip here and some of the glorious roads we have which can in places make more turns in 100 yards than you thought feasibly possible. The A93 between Aberdeen and Dundee being one of the best roads i have driven - period, has these.
<P>I will however stick to my guns and say no more than 25mm lower, good bumpstops. Monroe heavy duty poly being effective at stoping the shock meeting the turret and 14" wheels to be the combo. This works for me - it may not for you.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Only roads i've driven on in the US are the Floridian ones up as far as Atlanta - Billiard ball smooth but hey it was a Cadillac of some kind!
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Andy
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Decker &lt;boisfort@myhome.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT size=2>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi Andy;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My wife an I spent a week in November driving a rented Fiat Punta around England. We went from London to Edinburg, accross to Wales down the west side of England to Land' End and then accross southern England to Portsmoth and back to London. We drove motorways, A roads, B roads and put just over 1500 miles on the Fiat.&nbsp;We did a lot of dodging the cars in towns and the roundabouts. In the country the roads were narrow and lined with&nbsp; hedges, fences, rock walls and houses.&nbsp; I was totaly amazed at how&nbsp;GOOD the road surface was. I drive all over the states from where I live here&nbsp;in Western&nbsp;Washington and I can't think of anywhere the roads on a whole have better surface than I found in England. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I was recently down to Northern California and drove the back roads I learned to drive on as a kid and my 79 Scirocco ( Lowered about an inch, heavy duty KYB's, 195-60-14's ). It took a lot of punishment from bad patches and chuck holes. I visited a friend in Jamestown in the Gold country another in Sebastapol in Sonoma county and my folks in Pinole. The backroads are much like I left them in the 70s except there is more traffic on them now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Brian Decker</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Western Washington</DIV>
<DIV>1979 - Scirocco - 1800 Audi engine and a 6 spd tranny</DIV>
<DIV>1981 - Rabbit turbo 1600 diesel pickup</DIV>
<DIV>1980 - Dasher 1600 N/A diesel with 5 spd</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>----- Original Message ----- </DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk href="mailto:sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk";>Andy Holmes</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=list@cemetery.homeunix.org href="mailto:list@cemetery.homeunix.org";>Andrew Basterfield</A> ; <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, February 05, 2003 10:33 AM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: springs</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<P>Hi there
<P>With UK roads 25mm is that most you want and some real good bumpstops.
<P>Koni, PI, Apex - they do 25mm.
<P>Andy
<P>91 Scala i
<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Andrew Basterfield &lt;<A href="mailto:list@cemetery.homeunix.org";>list@cemetery.homeunix.org</A>&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi<BR><BR>I've got an 86 GT and I need to replace the springs - one of them is<BR>broken.<BR><BR>I want to use lowering springs but I don't want it to be _too_ low, I<BR>want to maintain some semblance of ride quality. Looking at the space<BR>between my front wheels (14" VW BBS) and arches I don't think there is<BR>room for a 35-40mm drop with much suspension travel left. The springs<BR>are over 15 years old, could it be that they have sagged and the vehicle<BR>already rides substantially lower than it used to?<BR><BR>Has anybody got any experiences with a lowered Scirocco 2?<BR><BR>Can I use Golf GTi mk1 suspension kit (springs+shocks)?<BR><BR>Any experiences/pointers gladly accepted, I have never fitted lowering<BR>springs before.<BR><BR>--Andrew<BR><BR>86 Scirocco GT (UK spec)<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Scirocco-l mailing list<BR>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR>http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l</BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-401100213-1044558096=:61023--