  From: Andy Holmes=20
  To: Andrew Basterfield ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 10:33 AM
  Subject: Re: springs

  Hi there=20

  With UK roads 25mm is that most you want and some real good bumpstops. =

  Koni, PI, Apex - they do 25mm.=20

  Andy=20

  91 Scala i=20

   Andrew Basterfield <list@cemetery.homeunix.org> wrote:=20

    Hi

    I've got an 86 GT and I need to replace the springs - one of them is
    broken.

    I want to use lowering springs but I don't want it to be _too_ low, =
    want to maintain some semblance of ride quality. Looking at the =
space
    between my front wheels (14" VW BBS) and arches I don't think there =
is
    room for a 35-40mm drop with much suspension travel left. The =
springs
    are over 15 years old, could it be that they have sagged and the =
vehicle
    already rides substantially lower than it used to?

    Has anybody got any experiences with a lowered Scirocco 2?

    Can I use Golf GTi mk1 suspension kit (springs+shocks)?

    Any experiences/pointers gladly accepted, I have never fitted =
lowering
    springs before.

    --Andrew

    86 Scirocco GT (UK spec)

-----
  With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that =
fits your needs

------=_NextPart_000_00DF_01C2CDC5.0F50CC40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Andy;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My wife an I spent a week in =
November=20
driving a rented Fiat Punta around England. We went from London to =
Edinburg,=20
accross to Wales down the west side of England to Land' End and then =
accross=20
southern England to Portsmoth and back to London. We drove motorways, A =
roads, B=20
roads and put just over 1500 miles on the Fiat.&nbsp;We did a lot of =
dodging the=20
cars in towns and the roundabouts. In the country the roads were narrow =
and=20
lined with&nbsp; hedges, fences, rock walls and houses.&nbsp; I was =
totaly=20
amazed at how&nbsp;GOOD the road surface was. I drive all over the =
states from=20
where I live here&nbsp;in Western&nbsp;Washington and I can't think of =
anywhere=20
the roads on a whole have better surface than I found in England. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I was recently down to Northern =
California=20
and drove the back roads I learned to drive on as a kid and my 79 =
Scirocco (=20
Lowered about an inch, heavy duty KYB's, 195-60-14's ). It took a lot of =

punishment from bad patches and chuck holes. I visited a friend in =
Jamestown in=20
the Gold country another in Sebastapol in Sonoma county and my folks in =
Pinole.=20
The backroads are much like I left them in the 70s except there is more =
traffic=20
on them now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brian Decker</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Western Washington</DIV>
<DIV>1979 - Scirocco - 1800 Audi engine and a 6 spd tranny</DIV>
<DIV>1981 - Rabbit turbo 1600 diesel pickup</DIV>
<DIV>1980 - Dasher 1600 N/A diesel with 5 spd</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>----- Original Message ----- </DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk"; =
title=3Dsciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk>Andy=20
  Holmes</A> </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:list@cemetery.homeunix.org"=20
  title=3Dlist@cemetery.homeunix.org>Andrew Basterfield</A> ; <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, February 05, =
2003 10:33=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: springs</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Hi there=20
  <P>With UK roads 25mm is that most you want and some real good =
bumpstops.=20
  <P>Koni, PI, Apex - they do 25mm.=20
  <P>Andy=20
  <P>91 Scala i=20
  <P>
  <P>
  <P>
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>Andrew Basterfield &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:list@cemetery.homeunix.org";>list@cemetery.homeunix.org</A>=
&gt;</I></B>=20
  wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi<BR><BR>I've=20
    got an 86 GT and I need to replace the springs - one of them=20
    is<BR>broken.<BR><BR>I want to use lowering springs but I don't want =
it to=20
    be _too_ low, I<BR>want to maintain some semblance of ride quality. =
Looking=20
    at the space<BR>between my front wheels (14" VW BBS) and arches I =
don't=20
    think there is<BR>room for a 35-40mm drop with much suspension =
travel left.=20
    The springs<BR>are over 15 years old, could it be that they have =
sagged and=20
    the vehicle<BR>already rides substantially lower than it used =
to?<BR><BR>Has=20
    anybody got any experiences with a lowered Scirocco 2?<BR><BR>Can I =
use Golf=20
    GTi mk1 suspension kit (springs+shocks)?<BR><BR>Any =
experiences/pointers=20
    gladly accepted, I have never fitted lowering<BR>springs=20
    before.<BR><BR>--Andrew<BR><BR>86 Scirocco GT (UK=20
    =
spec)<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Sciro=
cco-l=20
    mailing=20
    =
list<BR>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR>http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/=
scirocco-l</BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://uk.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_xtra/?http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/m=
ail_storage.html"><B><FONT=20
  face=3DArial size=3D2>With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- =
choose a=20
  size that fits your =
needs</FONT></B></A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DF_01C2CDC5.0F50CC40--