OT garage floor coatings

<P>Bugger!</P>
<P>The house is a rental so I'm not willing to spend more than 40-50 on the floor. I seriously doubt the landlord would spring for a contractor so I guess I'll have to live without the epoxy. The floor realy is quite nice but epoxy makes sweeping and spill clean-up such a joy. A major pro for painting the floor would have been assured deposit-return, without the paint I'll probably stain it.</P>
<P>Thanks for all the help</P>
<P>Anson<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sealer is a bitch.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>If you want a top notch job you gotta get that stuff off. Only way I know of I stated before, i.e. terrazzi grinder (800 lb six puck(corrumdum stones) monster). there may be chemical strippers out there. But I cant speak from experience. Shot blasting is very dusty, noisy, and possibly weakens the concrete. Grinder is done in the wet. so have a shop vac handy else you'll have a concrete driveway as well...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Maybye there's a rental unit (grinder) that's more manageable? and you will need an angle grinder for the edges...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I know where you're comming from you want a quality job that will last a long time, (I'd say 20 years or more in a home garage application) compared to probably 3 years for concrete paint. Depending on your budget maybye you could get a commercial contractor to do it for you. Maybye they'd be willing to do just the grinding, from experience I'd say a two car garage would take ~3 hours to grind plus edges of course.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Jason Adams
<DIV></DIV>Fahrvergnugen Forever! ;)
<DIV></DIV>84 rocco 16v
<DIV></DIV>93 320i
<DIV></DIV>98 Z71
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Anson Clement
<DIV></DIV>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 4:27 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: OT garage floor coatings
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for all the input guy's, I just returned from the inner sanctuary a.k.a garage. Sad news, the floor appears to have been treated with a concrete sealer. From what I understand epoxy will not adhere to sealed concrete unless it has been shot blasted and sometimes not even then. Apparently acid etching will not touch sealer. Any bright ideas? I'm not about to pay for shot blasting and an angle grinder would take several years.... if my girlfriend let me live that long.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Anson
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>My Stepfather owns a company that applied floorcoatings used in ware houses, and as a part time job when I was in university I helped on weekends.... So I know what I'm talking about...
<DIV></DIV>For high traffic areas we used a two part epoxy made by Tennant, 424 I believe was the model designation, The second "part" was actually a powder you mixed in for the abrasion resistance. It you want any non-skid areas sprinkle some #0 sillica sand when applying the second coat (at the end) else change rollers when moving back to the rest of the garage.
<DIV></DIV>As for application, well that depends, is the floor currently painted? if it is, remove it, we used a terrazzi grinder which used 6 corrundum stones to chew the paint up and clean the concrete. This is not practicle for the home user. Do your best, spend 90% of your time on prep work. a metal scraper and paint remover for stubborn areas may work, If it's really stubborn leave it, it must be bonded on good, after chipping,scraping, sanding, definately acid wash, the stuff we used was Tennant 409 concrete cleaner but any muriatic or hydrochloric acid will do. after acid wash (with mop), rinse with lots of water. let dry a minimum of 6 hours or overnight (after you've squeegeed off water), more if humid and or cold.
<DIV></DIV>remember, prep, prep prep.
<DIV></DIV>we took all the floors down to bare concrete for best bond, because we don't mae any money on call backs. If you're going to paint over painted floor and not prep rigorusly don't wasteyour money on epoxy, it won't stick... I know
<DIV></DIV>jason.
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Anson Clement
<DIV></DIV>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 7:46 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: OT garage floor coatings
<DIV></DIV>I'm going to be coating my garage floor in the next month, any recomendations for what to use/not use and how to prep or apply?
<DIV></DIV>Anson
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>