  From: Anson Clement=20
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 4:27 PM
  Subject: Re: OT garage floor coatings

  Thanks for all the input guy's, I just returned from the inner =
sanctuary a.k.a garage. Sad news, the floor appears to have been treated =
with a concrete sealer. From what I understand epoxy will not adhere to =
sealed concrete unless it has been shot blasted and sometimes not even =
then. Apparently acid etching will not touch sealer. Any bright ideas? =
I'm not about to pay for shot blasting and an angle grinder would take =
several years.... if my girlfriend let me live that long.

  Anson

  My Stepfather owns a company that applied floorcoatings used in ware =
houses, and as a part time job when I was in university I helped on =
weekends.... So I know what I'm talking about...=20
  For high traffic areas we used a two part epoxy made by Tennant, 424 I =
believe was the model designation, The second "part" was actually a =
powder you mixed in for the abrasion resistance. It you want any =
non-skid areas sprinkle some #0 sillica sand when applying the second =
coat (at the end) else change rollers when moving back to the rest of =
the garage.=20
  As for application, well that depends, is the floor currently painted? =
if it is, remove it, we used a terrazzi grinder which used 6 corrundum =
stones to chew the paint up and clean the concrete. This is not =
practicle for the home user. Do your best, spend 90% of your time on =
prep work. a metal scraper and paint remover for stubborn areas may =
work, If it's really stubborn leave it, it must be bonded on good, after =
chipping,scraping, sanding, definately acid wash, the stuff we used was =
Tennant 409 concrete cleaner but any muriatic or hydrochloric acid will =
do. after acid wash (with mop), rinse with lots of water. let dry a =
minimum of 6 hours or overnight (after you've squeegeed off water), more =
if humid and or cold.=20
  remember, prep, prep prep.=20
  we took all the floors down to bare concrete for best bond, because we =
don't mae any money on call backs. If you're going to paint over painted =
floor and not prep rigorusly don't wasteyour money on epoxy, it won't =
stick... I know=20
  jason.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20