[OT] Learning UNIX

Hi Chris,

My response is based on the assumption that you are into computers in
some way and that most of your experience is in Windows.

Start your unix experience by doing two things:

1. Get yourself a shell account somewhere. School, work, ISP,
whatever. Do stuff here like mail, web pages etc. there while you
experiment at home or school. There is nothing worse then not having
access to your mail and/or files when you are at home and you blew
something up. Make this your safe space, which you can access from
anywhere, and you can also navigate around the box to see how the
sysadmin set it up.

2. Picking a unix/linux distribution is like picking a religion. It's
not easy to do and in the beginning you will still have your doubts,
asking yourself do I really like this choice? Instead of
repartitioning a box or having a second box, just use VMWare
<http://www.vmware.com> workstation and experiment with a number of
different distributions simultaneously without any re-partitioning or
dedicated boxes. Just run Linux/BSD/whatever virtually, on top of your
existing Windows install. If you get comfortable with your choice of
unix, you then install VMWare on top of Linux and run Windows within
Linux.

VMWare can be found on any of your common P2P file sharing systems, or
I may be able to help you out if you can't find it there. Having some
sort of broadband access really helps in getting multiple
distributions, so get it if you can.

HTH!

-Marc

'87 Tornado Red 16v Bogged Scirocco @ 235K miles
http://getty.net/scirocco/=20
'02 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
http://getty.net/c230k/
    in Heliodongr=FCn (Citron Green) took European Delivery in May 2002

 =20