Does rear axle from '81 Rabbit fit '81 Scirocco?

Hello list!

First let me introduce myself: my name's Courtney, and one week ago to date I
acquired an '81 Scirocco S which has been converted to Diesel by means of a
1.6L engine from an '86 JettaDiesel. I got the car merely as a little
commuter vehicle on the strength of its gas mileage (43.6mpg, folks!) but in
the meantime have been seduced by its cute appearance and the way it drives,
so I want to do some nice things to fix it up.

That said, this car has a very slightly bent rear axle which does not affect
its driveability, but which IS causing the inside of the right rear tire to
wear fast. The local VW shop tells me it's less labor (and a better fix) to
just get a replacement rear axle rather than messing with shimming the wheel.
Well, all the u-pull-it wrecking yard has are '82-'84 Sciroccos (the MK2s),
which definitely won't interchange, right? But they do have an '81 Rabbit.
Will the axle fit?

Thanks,
Courtney