2 liter 16v rebuild questions

Just to help give a bit of insight on this, I was over at Dan's
lastnight (trying to get my shift linkage back in order) and was looking
at his engine since it's mostly together now.

When he says that things are hard to move, the cams don't want to move
at all unless I'm using a 1/2" drive and putting body weight into it.
being that I'm a fat bastard, that means I was putting a lot of effort
into it.  The cams on my 16v are a bit tough to turn, but certainly
don't require me throwing my wieght around.  I figure because everything
is new, valves, springs, lifters you name it, that maybe thats why it's
so tight, I'm not sure though.

The real problem is his intermiediate shaft though.  I should be able to
turn that by hand with no problem and it's just not going to happen.  I
took a look at the gearing from the shaft to the oil pump and it didn't
look like it was binding on anything but theres only so much I can see
through the peep hole.  I'm thinking about dropping the pan, removing
the pump and testing the pump, but any ideas, tips, pointers, sarcastic
remarks would be helpfull.

William