2 liter 16v rebuild questions

Hey everybody, thanks for the pointers earlier this week about
cam alignment.  Got that sorted out, but now I've got some more
interesting things popping up:

I'm ready to hook up a timing belt, but everything seems pretty
tight.  Its hard to move any of the gears without using a
wrench on the end.  Is that just because everything is brand
new and hasn't been started yet?  I lost the bolt for my
intermediate shaft gear too.  Anybody know what size that is?
All the bolts I have here go in for a few turns and then no
further.

thanks for everybody's help again
Dan