16v cam tolerances

Uh oh.  This can be a real pain in the butt. To answer your question, go ahead and align the exhaust cam with the top of the head.  (The large cam sprocket's mark should now be facing straight up).  Now you'll find that the mark on the intake cam moves even farther away from where it should be.  So you need to realign it.  (If both are pointed slightly down, that means your intake cam is about 6-8 degrees off your exhaust cam).  I did the same thing.  It was really tricky to realign it without taking everything back off - but I did it:  loosen up the cam bearings equally (and use the cross pattern).  Oil the chain up REAL good.  Gently pull the end of the intake cam toward the exhaust cam (so you have some slack in the chain).  Now rotate the exhaust cam - hopefully the intake cam doesn't turn too.  It's best to have a buddy twist the exhaust cam so you can focus on keeping the intake cam still.  In your case you're gonna want to turn the exhaust cam COUNTER clockwise while !
 holding the intake cam still.  Again, this is tricky because the chain is so tight.
I hope I didn't just make you more confused!
Hope it works out for you!