Holy ratteling vibrations Batman

reposted from 2 yrs ago:
i learned this trick over at Erics place. Hacksaw the mount from the inside
out (the metal on the
mount, not the bracket). Once you make it through the mount (hacksaw will
start sticking), tap it a
bit with a hammer and a punch, and it'll come right out (provided you made
it all the way through
the mount). now to get the new mount in, you'll need a vice (a GOOD vice,
like one made back in
1920), and 4 ratchet extensions. use the extensions, 2 on each side, to
space the mount away from
the vice, so you dont break the rubber of the mount by pushing on the center
pin. Put a bit of
grease around the lip of the mount before you start pressing. Line
everything up, start slow, make
sure the mount starts out evenly, then commence the gronk the living s@#*
out of the vice. you may
need a 3-4 foot pipe, and i hope the vice is on a sturdy, heavy table. once
its all in, you're good
to go. doing the driver and passenger mount brackets took under an hour
(getting the bracket on the
car is a totally different story, however).

this procedure can be helpful for those living in towns with vw dealers only
capable of changing
tires and oil.
enjoy!
al

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 160k, rocco #6)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles :)

HTH
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 190k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 190k)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (wifes daily, 290k) **FOR SALE**

(my, how time flies :)