kinda OT rocco vs. rabbit

--- Jacob <gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:
>I have noticed that many scirocco owners have or had rabbits or golfs,
>since I am still new to the whole 80s vw cars im curious what the
>differances are (focusing on roccos and rabbits).
>Things I would like to know are: engine (which gets better mileage
>(spelling?),

All depends on the year, as Mark said, Rabbits, Sciroccos, Mk1 Jettas and Cabriolets all shared the same chassis, and are mechanically identical (given comparing the same year rabbit to scirocco).  Mileage, well, Sciroccos never got a Diesel....so your best mileage would be from a Rabbit diesel (be it a Rabbit PU or regular Rabbit).  Rabbits were lighter than Sciroccos, but not by very much...the mk2 Scirocco (started in 1982) was a bit heavier than the mk1 Sciroccos also...

>are both of the engines and other preformance affecting
>parts balanced for the car (ex. The H2 apparently has an extremely small
>engine for its weight)),

Huh?  Are you looking for "HP to wieght"???  Probably the best, from the factory was the Scirocco 16v, 1.8 16v with 124hp, started with the 86.5 model...well after the Rabbit had ceased production.  Sciocco 16vs also got the best brakes of the bunch as well....

>  is the rabbit P/U just a rabbit with a bed or
>the rabbit name an a vw S-10,

It was a true VW, produced in Westmooreland, PA.  The majority of Rabbit Trucks (Caddys) were diesel.

>how common are scirocco parts vs rabbit
>parts, any thing else you can think of.

Well, as Mark said, mk1 Sciroccos have it harder, body panels, body seals, etc are basically non-existant.  VW destroyed the molds a few years back for everything mk1 Scirocco specific.  Mk2 Sciroccos have an advantage over Mk1 Roccos and Rabbits, as they were produced in Germany till 1992...so there are more specific parts to it available.  However, Rabbit panels and seals and things are still available, mostly also due to the fact that they share alot of the parts with Cabriolets, which were made until 1993 or so (and sold here till then).

As I stated before, mechanical stuff is shared across all of these, so all that is readily available and quite cheap in my opinion.

>I know my wording may be confusing to the point where I may have to
>retype chunks of this but its late and im tired.

I hope I answered some of your questions?

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (FOR SALE!)
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v Motronic
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg