Oil cooler questions...

Looking to get an external oil cooler for the Scirocco, and I came across these on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2428573730
Question:  are they actually an oil cooler, or just a sort of sandwich plate?  If they are an oil cooler, how does it work, and why the two lines coming off them?  Maybe were they factory on turbodiesels?
I also came across several EMPI oil cooler products, like this kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2428532809
Any opinions?
What I'd really like to do is find a *factory* sandwich plate, and use a Volvo external oil cooler.  Are there any junkyard cars with sandwich plates that would fit a 16V Scirocco?  Thanks!