  From: Jeff Toomasson
  To: Jacob ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:01 AM
  Subject: Re: New to sciroccos

  Welcome!

  At 16, you're not generally supposed to know stuff about fixing cars yet. If
  I had this resource when I was 16, I would have screwed up less than half
  the sutff I did for sure! :)

  Anyway, unfortunately, much of this is just a recap of stuff already
  mentioned. For a starter Scirocco, you might want to consider getting a mk2
  8v. The 8v's, in general, are much more reliable than 16v's. Parts are
  cheaper (and more plentiful in junkyards).

  Again, what everyone mentioned, rust, is your worst enemy. Here in
  California, it's not that much of a problem, but it's still a problem.

  All I can say is read, read, read and read some more. Comb through the
  archives - you'll soak a helluva lot that way.

  Where are you from by the way?  More than likely, a local lister will be
  able to help you find a good example to start with.

  Good luck!  Jeff