the East Coast mystery tour report (long)

I didn't give you the report from the "East Coast mystery tour" yet, and boy
did I bug the Rocco folks! We headed out for a race in Montreal, which was
rained out , but I did manage to chat with Marc L. for a while before we
left. I didn't get to see his car ( A Slegato...), due to typical A1
reasons, but it sounds nice, and I'm sure I'll drop by next year again. Then
off to Vermont, across what has to be the worst border crossing known to
man. We did shave an hour off last year's wait, it only took an hour or so
in line this year. That was the cooling sytsem torture test. All fine.

ONce in Vermont, phone wierdness delayed my visit with Sara Arms, and her
delightful Bunny. I did get to see the calender preview, and the cars are
nice. It was great to see you again Sara, we have to get together more.

Then off to Maine.This was the high point of the trip, two listers to
visit...unfortunately my body had other ideas after a suspect crab roll
(food poisoning maybe?). I struggled down to see John Lagnese, but was not
feeling that great, so went back to my cousiin's and crashed. It's always
nice to find a place by the cars, John has the typical selection of used
Jettas in the drive, (so you don't really need to check the house number)
accented by a nice black 16V Rocco. Considering everything, it was a good
visit. And I love to see Roccos...
After my rest, it was off to AUburn. I was feeling somewhat better by this
point, and Tony P. really helped lift my spirits when he took me for a drive
in his turbo 16V. (hehe) I think he laid off a bit, not wanting to scare me
on the cold humid road surface, but that car was amazing. The only problem I
could see would be keeping tires on it. I don't have the skills or the cash,
but maybe someday...It really was the high point of the trip. He had the MkI
hidden under a tarp, but I'd seen it before, so the fantasies continued,
it's so gorgeous, both cars his are black too, must be the law in Miane or
something.
I did spend some time talking cars with my cousin (Wayne, in Maine, when I
was in pain, in the rain- somebody stop me), though he's lusting after an
early 70's Cutlass convertible at the moment. I share his passion, but
certainly not his chassis of choice. He's an ex MkI owner too, he should
know better. He did take me for a ride in the A6 though. Too posh for this
gal.
Then off to Cape Cod, to my uncle's. Here, due to the dull weather, I spent
time doing small jobs. The Beetle got new headlights, and a tire rotation,
and the sunroof now rolls back on my headache, but still needs some
adjusting. I got some small wiring jobs done, and had noticed the car had
been following every groove in the road, so checked the wheels for undue
movement, and lo and behold, the passenger's wheel moved fore and aft about
1/2" (that's 1 cm for you metric folks) so to went to Sears for a ball joint
and inner tie rod end. I will say they did a good job, and quickly too. I
had asked them for a firm price, none of the "we ran into a problem" crap,
and they assured me it was a firm price. So I get home and there's a message
on the machine. The had forgotten to include the labour for the tie
rod....so I dial the number, ready for a big "hair up", and the guy says
he'd already talked to the manager and waived the increase. WOW! I was in
shock, but that's the way it should be. Needless to say the car tracks
better now.
The last mission was to pick up parts in Sandwich, at Josh Wyte's place. We
had a good visit too, he took me for a ride in his Mmmmmm3, I am such a
softie for yummy sounding engines, that car had gobs of power, and handled
superbly. On the way home, just to see if I still loved her, the headache
blew out the fuse holders on the DS headlights. So more minor repairs, and
we headed home.
It was great to see so many wonderful people and so many great cars, all
different, all fantastic.

My car turned 300 000 on the Waterfest trip, now it' got 4000 more on it.
Yep, I do drive it. And I'm off to North Bay today. See ya...
cathy