Part number found (was RE: need part #)

Dan, there is supposed to be an o-ring (p/n 049 127 311) behind this
plate.

You may want to check the calibrated orifice in the PCV vent hose that
goes to the intake and make sure that it is not blocked in addition to
clearing the mesh in the valve cover.

Drew

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Dan Smith wrote:

> It appears there's a conflict of opinions here on
> wheither or not there is a gasket there at all. The
> reason I ask is that I had an oil leak (more like an
> oil explosion) that, according to Eric S.'s diagnosis
> was due to a buildup of crankcase pressure. I was able
> to see oil bubbling out of the spot I described
> before. I removed the valve cover, cleaned out the
> massive amount of black crap from the screen and now
> am trying seal up the leak. I haven't fired it up
> since I cleaned the valve cover though, so it might
> have stopped. If there is no seal there, have I
> damaged something?
>
> Dan-wishing he could be a bit more specific....
> P.S.- Patrick, the links you posted are the correct
> spot that I'm talking about. I haven't removed the
> part so I don't know if it has an O ring or a seal or
> anything, but the car is an 84 and I highly doubt the
> engine was swapped.

|  84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco  |
|    http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd       |