Anti-theft radios

John Lagnese wrote:

> Anyone how to reset the code or safely remove an anti-theft VW radio? My son
> got a 96 Jetta and it has one of those radios. We are going to remove it and
> I don't want to ruin it.

I believe the stealership can pull the radio code from the car's VIN,
assuming it's original, on a Mk3.  Finding one to do it for you without
charging some outrageous sum might be a challenge..

The Mk4 head units are trick - they are not only coded, but "know" the
VIN of the car they were delivered in.  If power is cut as long as it's
still in the original car, no need to recode it when power is reapplied.
  But move it to a different car, it knows it's not at home and requires
the secondary code.  Pretty cool, too bad it sounds like shit..  :0

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA