Cam materials....

--=====================_2054416265==_.ALT

Right I understand the different dyno different car thing and I will take
it with a couple of grains of salt...

So what is the difference, advantage/disadvantage. between Steel Billets
vs. Chill Cast Iron vs. regrinds???

-RGK-

At 05:56 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 4/21/2003 2:26:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>flaatr@yahoo.com writes:
>

>>I'm referencing this page for cam info and Kent's seem kinda hot.
>>http://membres.lycos.fr/philippe840/clubabf/GolfGTI/camshaft.php
>

>I'm not saying the Kent 258s aren't a great cam choice-- but take that
>"comparative" dyno chart with more than the usual "large grain of salt"...
>
>Those curves represent a number of published results from a bunch of
>different cars, done on different dynos on different days. In a word-
>misleading.
>
>As far as the advantages/disadvantages of a chill cast vs a steel billet
>goes--  I've flattened lobes from a highly regarded cam manufacturer as
>well as had good results from a "cheap" regrind. Proper breakin and choice
>of oil makes as much of a difference as anything. A good breakin procedure
>can be found on the Puma webpage at:  http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cam1.htm
>
>Not to make your choice any more difficult, but I'm thinking my next set
>of cams are going to be from this place:  http://www.elgincams.com/
>

>Best of luck-
>Danny
>
>80 Scirocco "project"
>81 Caddy 16V
>82 Audi  4000S "the dirty four letter word"
>85 BMW Baur TC

--=====================_2054416265==_.ALT

Right I understand the different dyno different car thing and I will take
it with a couple of grains of salt... <br><br>
So what is the difference, advantage/disadvantage. between Steel Billets
vs. Chill Cast Iron vs. regrinds???<br><br>
-RGK-<br><br>
At 05:56 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:<br>
4/21/2003 2:26:16 AM Pacific Standard Time, flaatr@yahoo.com
writes:<br><br>
info and Kent's seem kinda hot. <br>
I'm not saying the Kent 258s aren't a great cam choice-- but take that
&quot;comparative&quot; dyno chart with more than the usual &quot;large
grain of salt&quot;...<br><br>
Those curves represent a number of published results from a bunch of
different cars, done on different dynos on different days. In a word-
misleading.<br><br>
As far as the advantages/disadvantages of a chill cast vs a steel billet
goes--&nbsp; I've flattened lobes from a highly regarded cam manufacturer
as well as had good results from a &quot;cheap&quot; regrind. Proper
breakin and choice of oil makes as much of a difference as anything. A
good breakin procedure can be found on the Puma webpage at:&nbsp;
Not to make your choice any more difficult, but I'm thinking my next set
of cams are going to be from this place:&nbsp;
Best of luck- <br>
Danny<br><br>
80 Scirocco &quot;project&quot;<br>
81 Caddy 16V <br>
82 Audi&nbsp; 4000S &quot;the dirty four letter word&quot;<br>
85 BMW Baur TC<br><br>