Crossmember brace install

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Wait for it... wait for it... Oh, OK- I see. It's not just a well
>composed, dramatically lighted, instructive, informative piece of
>photojournalism. Oh no.
>
>It's a day brightening pick me up as well!

HA!

>- "need to clean it." Yep.

Opinions opinions....you wanna come fix my oil leak?  If so, then I'll clean it.... :-P

>- Worried about the cut out also, wanted to recommend some vinyl
>edging on there, or cut a same size semicircle and slice an O-ring in
>half, one part for each side.

As I said before, wires not touching the bar at all, and bar will not move.

>- Biggest question and feedback issue #1, for me design wise is why
>just one bolt hole up top? Seems you'd want two.

Explained that as well already.  Mk2 Roccos are silly.  VW welded on extra bumper tube and shoved the bumper outwards.  So the "rear" bumper bolt on a mk2 is actually the "front" one on a mk1(and every other A1...though haven't checked A1 Jetta).  So Tosha, its the mk2 guys that will have to live with 1 bolt...it is enough however...loads on those bolts are only upwards.  Mk1 folks can use 2 bolts...brackets would have been a mess if we tried to make it up to the front bolts on a mk2 (next time you've got your head under one, take a look...its kinda silly)

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg