Cam materials....

--part1_95.2ca8a687.2bd51a3d_boundary

In a message dated 4/21/2003 2:26:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
flaatr@yahoo.com writes:

> I'm referencing this page for cam info and Kent's seem kinda hot.
> http://membres.lycos.fr/philippe840/clubabf/GolfGTI/camshaft.php

I'm not saying the Kent 258s aren't a great cam choice-- but take that
"comparative" dyno chart with more than the usual "large grain of salt"...

Those curves represent a number of published results from a bunch of
different cars, done on different dynos on different days. In a word-
misleading.

As far as the advantages/disadvantages of a chill cast vs a steel billet
goes--  I've flattened lobes from a highly regarded cam manufacturer as well
as had good results from a "cheap" regrind. Proper breakin and choice of oil
makes as much of a difference as anything. A good breakin procedure can be
found on the Puma webpage at:  http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cam1.htm

Not to make your choice any more difficult, but I'm thinking my next set of
cams are going to be from this place:  http://www.elgincams.com/

Best of luck-
Danny

80 Scirocco "project"
81 Caddy 16V
82 Audi  4000S "the dirty four letter word"
85 BMW Baur TC

--part1_95.2ca8a687.2bd51a3d_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/21/2003 2:26:16 AM Pacific Standa=
rd Time, flaatr@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I'm referencing this page for c=
am info and Kent's seem kinda hot. <BR>
http://membres.lycos.fr/philippe840/clubabf/GolfGTI/camshaft.php</BLOCKQUOTE=
><BR>
<BR>
I'm not saying the Kent 258s aren't a great cam choice-- but take that "comp=
arative" dyno chart with more than the usual "large grain of salt"...<BR>
<BR>
Those curves represent a number of published results from a bunch of differe=
nt cars, done on different dynos on different days. In a word- misleading.<B=

<BR>
As far as the advantages/disadvantages of a chill cast vs a steel billet goe=
s--&nbsp; I've flattened lobes from a highly regarded cam manufacturer as we=
ll as had good results from a "cheap" regrind. Proper breakin and choice of=20=
oil makes as much of a difference as anything. A good breakin procedure can=20=
be found on the Puma webpage at:&nbsp; http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cam1.htm<=

<BR>
Not to make your choice any more difficult, but I'm thinking my next set of=20=
cams are going to be from this place:&nbsp; http://www.elgincams.com/<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Best of luck- <BR>
Danny<BR>
<BR>
80 Scirocco "project"<BR>
81 Caddy 16V <BR>
82 Audi&nbsp; 4000S "the dirty four letter word"<BR>
85 BMW Baur TC<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>