From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 6:12 PM
Subject: [16v Tech] Are all o2 sensors the same (and A/F gauge troubles)?

Like topic. Recently my O2 sensor died (or so I thought, it was old and
dirty anyway, so I replaced it). Not willing to pay the $160+ premium for a
new OE version, I opted to look through the catalog with the guy at NAPA and
we found a $45 3 wire sensor with the same threads for a Ford. I ordered,
installed, and all was good. Well, a day or so after I installed it, my idle
has gone back to jumping and my gas mileage is still horrible (roughly 10-15
MPG).

My mileage and jumping idle started after putting in a different
transmission. I removed and reinstalled the intake hose, and have checked
the connections of I think all of the vacuum lines. I'm thinking about
replacing them to rule them out.

Also, around that time, My Autometer Air/Fuel ratio gauge mysteriously
stopped working. Now, with the new O2 sensor, it might flicker once on
start-up, but it doesn't do anything after that.

So, any clues from the list? Did my A/F gauge go bad and fry both sensors?
Did the sensor(s) fry the gauge? Has anyone dealt with Autometer on warrenty
work before? Is my car possessed?

Thanks for any help.
Joshua