[16v Tech] Are all o2 sensors the same (and A/F gauge troubles)?

Like topic. Recently my O2 sensor died (or so I thought, it was=
 old and dirty anyway, so I replaced it). Not willing to pay the=
 $160+ premium for a new OE version, I opted to look through the=
 catalog with the guy at NAPA and we found a $45 3 wire sensor=
 with the same threads for a Ford. I ordered, installed, and all=
 was good. Well, a day or so after I installed it, my idle has=
 gone back to jumping and my gas mileage is still horrible=
 (roughly 10-15 MPG).

My mileage and jumping idle started after putting in a different=
 transmission. I removed and reinstalled the intake hose, and=
 have checked the connections of I think all of the vacuum lines.=
 I'm thinking about replacing them to rule them out.

Also, around that time, My Autometer Air/Fuel ratio gauge=
 mysteriously stopped working. Now, with the new O2 sensor, it=
 might flicker once on start-up, but it doesn't do anything after=
 that.

So, any clues from the list? Did my A/F gauge go bad and fry both=
 sensors? Did the sensor(s) fry the gauge? Has anyone dealt with=
 Autometer on warrenty work before? Is my car possessed?

Thanks for any help.
Joshua