oil drain plug what?

So anyways, this post doesnt have a Scirocco in it, in case that is a live
or die issue for somebody. :D

I drove over to CT today to pick up a donor Head, and wiring/etc for my
2.0/18 16v swap into Caddy #2. To get to where I was going you have to go
from Albany NY, into Massachusetts, and then south into Connecticut.. I get
down, meet Brian, get the engine in the back of Caddy #1, and head home.
Gotta love 70 hp :D

So Im right at the MA/NY border getting ready to get onto Interstate 90 to
head back to Albany, and I look over at this gas station, and what do I see?
A silver VR6 Corrado parked with the hood open. Well, pull a U-turn and head
over to see what's going on. I pull up, and its an older guy with his early
20s son, the 1st thing I notice is the pool of oil under the car. The father
gets out, and we start to talk. He said the oil light had just come on
suddenly, so he got off the highway, pulled in and parked where he now sat,
and he had no clue what was wrong but he had called AAA. My 1st step to
diagnosing the issue was to ask when the last time he had the car serviced.
Oddly enough it had been into a VW repair facility just 2 days prior getting
an oil change. As with anybody reading this, the bells in my head went off!
I crawled under the car, and what did my finger find? A nice open hole in
the back of the oil pan. Great I thought,  I can pull the plug off the
engine I had in the back of the Caddy, but of course that idea wasn't very
sound,  since it wasn't the right thread pattern..

So picture this, sitting on the border of NY, and MA and about 40+ miles
from the closest parts supply that I could think of.  After using my cell to
see if anybody had a better idea, I went off on the great drain plug search
of 2003. Amazingly as I was going past a closed (and very hick) Ford
dealership in W.Stockbridge, I noticed a bay open, and cruised in. A tech
was working on his personal car and had no problems setting me up with the
right plug. I barrow a socket and ratchet and headed beck, got the guy
patched up, got oil in it, and it purred like a VR. :D

I think the highlight of it all was when I figured out that the plug I had
would not fit, the son (speaking for about the only time) asked if we could
just tape the drain over.......

Josh Able
www.JsHouseOfEuro.com
Secure online checkout