540i vs Mk1

Just got home from a nice trip to visit my mom who lives a few hours away...
for a visit, but also for some more break-in mileage for the new 2.0 16v.
After tonight I have no doubt that the engine is broken in...

I'm in the right lane cruising along about 75mph when I see what looks like
a M5 coming up on my tail... wait a minute... that's not a M5, but that's
a sweet 540i WAGON!  With the M5 wheels and body kit... what a gorgeous car!
So I jump in behind him and follow his 85mph pace a while.
We start down a long straight (slight decline) part in the highway which
is wide open in front of us for a good 1/2 mile... so just for kicks I pull
into the left lane beside Mr. 540 and give him a blip of the throttle...
starting out at about 80mph I hit the throttle and I see the 540 follow
suit just a split second after I did... I initially pulled about a 1/2 car
length ahead, but then the 540 started pulling back the distance... but
ever so slightly... as I neared 6000 rpm in 5th and after about a 1/2
mile or so we came up on a truck in the right lane (his lane)...
The 540 couldn't get ahead of me and had to drop in behind!  After "cruising"
at my top speed (somewhere above 120mph) for another mile with the Bimmer
on my tail I got over and slowed down quite a bit.
It was hard to see through his dark tint, but I swear I saw him give me
a thumbs up, as I gave him... 'twas a wee little bit fun indeed!  ;)

All I know is that was *THE* most sweeeeet wagon I have ever seen!!!
Looked amazing and was quite fast!  (just not quite as fast as I thought
it might be...  teehee)

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v