The tranny saga continues...

 Many thanks to those that suggested the leather belt trick to get fifth =
gear off of my tranny. It worked like a charm. After several weekends of =
disassembling I am finally ready to begin reassembling my tranny and =
car... That is after I find all of the parts. The small bearing on my =
pinion shaft is in very rough shape but the process for replacing it =
sounds pretty complicated... pre-tensioning, shimming, use of a torch, =
etc. Does anyone know of a reputable vendor that stocks reconditioned =
pinion shafts? If the cost isn't prohibitive I'd rather just buy another =
than have to ship it off somewhere and wait ages for it to come back. =
Thanks.

 Ray - '88 Cabriolet 16V
       '90 Corrado G60
       '99 Jetta IV GLS