From: "Ray Dowling" <RayD@amfirst.org>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 11:35 AM
Subject: The tranny saga continues...

 Many thanks to those that suggested the leather belt trick to get fifth
gear off of my tranny. It worked like a charm. After several weekends of
disassembling I am finally ready to begin reassembling my tranny and car...
That is after I find all of the parts. The small bearing on my pinion shaft
is in very rough shape but the process for replacing it sounds pretty
complicated... pre-tensioning, shimming, use of a torch, etc. Does anyone
know of a reputable vendor that stocks reconditioned pinion shafts? If the
cost isn't prohibitive I'd rather just buy another than have to ship it off
somewhere and wait ages for it to come back. Thanks.

 Ray - '88 Cabriolet 16V
       '90 Corrado G60
       '99 Jetta IV GLS