intermitent oil light?

Rhett,

Don't forget that the vw (or German in general.. Mann and Mahle come to
mind) filters have 2 valves that are missing in cheap filters:

(this is from memory, so bear with any mistakes here)

- an anti-backflow valve which keeps oil in the filter from draining back
  down in to the pan. This way you have clean oil ready right away when
  you start the car

- a high pressure filter bypass valve. dirty oil is better than no oil,
  VWs have extremely high oil pressure when cold.. When the pressure on
  the inlet side of the filter is high (because the oil pressure is high
  -or- because the filter is clogged and not allowing oil to pass), the
  valve opens and allows "dirty" oil to circulate until the oil pressure
  drops or the owner changes the filter.

At $3.50-ish a piece from Mark@AAB or Potterman, there's no reason to use
a cheap orange filter from NAPA or AutoZone.

-Toby