Cracked core support - stock 16v!

> Oh, I suggest you that you don't wait for the bars to get developed but
look
> into adding something for support now. I tought I could wait - well that
> extra waiting for people to sort out the construction of that bar is now
> creating an extra headache for me.

    i found 2 cracks on the rieger during my 2.0 swap as well. something
important to note is that a rubber mount can actually cause MORE stress on
the cross member, since it allows more play, and gives the engine more room
to move and thus more of an 'impact' as it goes from acceleration to
coasting.
    as for the bracing, if it involves any single piece that spans across
horizontally, and that piece isnt at least as large as the box its
supporting (i.e., 4" square), its not going to do anything for it. this is
because a peice like that simply flexes much more than the stock piece does.
the stock piece is *so* rigid that it cracks before it flexes. best bet is
to triangulate from each side, intersecting at the mount itself. something
like this can be done with 1/2" tubing and still come out stronger than the
stock piece, so long as there is enough spread at the far points of the
triangle.
hth
Al