Ok.. need some advice... More Info...

I am located in Falls Church VA... I did get a second opinion.. I took
it to both Pauls auto service (VW only place, great guy there who I
heartely recommend..) and to VolksWerks.. which also came highly
recommended by other VW people I know.. In taking apart the
shifter to see what was needed both said that the shifter "base" was
basically shot.. that some of the bushings were actually fine, as they
must have been put in when the short shift kit (prev own) went in..
but that some of the connecting links were showing huge amounts
of play, and that just a bushing kit would have no real effect on it...
and to replace all the bushings, base, links, everything he is only
charging me 200.. which really isn't that much... Had I the
weekends/garage I could do that myself, but that's not really an
option.  In terms of the tranny.. that's the debatable part.. in some
ways it may keep on trucking for a while, or I might have to replace it
on next thursday.. you never know... My one "in the middle" thought
is to maybe have him drain the whole thing, see if there is anything
floating around in the fluid to indicate possible failure, and if there
isn't then wait it out and hope for the best, and if there is, then bite
the bullet.  In terms of price, he gets his tranny's from someone (I
can't remember the name) who only does manual tranny water
cooled tranny rebuilds.. the cost from that guy is $995, and of
course, by going with that, I save some money in terms of not
having to replace some of the seals and what not.  On the one hand
2500 bucks is a huge amount of money when you could never get
that much back out of it.. but then again.. piece of mind, and a 100%
working roc are pretty priceless too  :)
I have till tommorow evening to tell him what I want him to do.. any
other thoughts?  (I am still undecided.. but will make sure to tell you
all what I end up doing..)
Thanks all..
Rob Luhrs
8816v

p.s. Thanks to everyone who responded about my dad's electrical
gremlin car (the driving through NJ story.. ) it turned out to be a
dead alternator.. replaced that.. now it's running perfectly.. I am
driving back up to MA next week to bring it back to him...