Ok.. need some advice...

I have an 88 16v.. it needs a bunch of stuff.. but a bunch of stuff is
already good on it.  I took it to a place I trust to get their thoughts on
it, and their recommendations added up to a bunch of money, but
would mean that I would prolly be set for a good long while.. Here is
the rundown:
Replace Tranny with rebuilt one, Replace Clutch, replace all tranny
seals/diff seals.  Replace motor mounts, timing belt, all other belts,
replace valve cover gasket, rebuild entire shifter (shifter
base/connecting links/EVERYTHING).
total cost including all parts/labor/tax/etc was about 2500 bucks.
Granted, I would be unable to sell the car to make that money back..
but I don't want to.. I want to drive it for a few years without having to
worry about it.  Brakes are all fine, suspension is all fine, body is
fine..
Thoughts?
I can make it about 900 bucks cheaper by not replaceing the tranny
and just hoping that I don't end up needing to do that anyways in the
near future (around 170K miles on car)
I realize 100% that I could make this cheaper by getting the parts
and doing the labor myself...that is not really an option, my
weekends are all committed to other activities until around
december, and I have no garage/driveway where I could do random
bits night by night..
So, thoughts?
Thanks,
Rob Luhrs