(A little OT) Screwy electricalproblem---HELP!!--UPDATE(new problem!)

The O2 sensor should never be disconnected for any of the adjustments,
however it wouldn't cause the problems you are having.

Technically, the "idle" screw on the throttle body is used to adjust the
duty cycle of the ISV.  The ISV controls the idle.

The basic adjustment for the throttle body involves tightening the screw on
the linkage on top until you can just slip a piece of paper between the
stop and the screw - then screwing it in half a turn.  I found that to be
too much and had to back it out a little.

I would not attempt to set the timing to anything other than TDC without a
light.

HTH

Good luck!

John