88 16V tranny noise

Monday before The Trip, I went to Julies (Rolling Roc - '87 16v - AGB trans)
to pick up Big Mac's transmission for delivery to Ron. On the way home I did
a drag strip start out of a toll booth. Did not notice anything until about
a mile down the road when everything got smoky and stinky. Looked in the
rear view and great clouds of smoke (dark out so it could have been white or
gray or blue and I would not have been able to tell). I pulled over and
checked the engine oil. 1/2 quart low but that's not particularly unusual.
Drove to a 24 hour gas station to wait for my pick up. Well yesterday I
finally got around to looking into the problem. The front of the engine is
dry, the head gasket area is dry but the timing hole is half wet and the
flywheel is wet. It finally dawns on me that that smell is indeed burnt dino
gear oil and not engine oil. So I started it up and no leak. Drive about
until warm and no leak. Later in the day drive about the same distance and
discovered that 4th gear is whining (louder upon acceleration). Oh well I
guess I'm putting that rebuilt transmission in sooner rather than later and
it will not have the quaiff that I'd been waiting for.

The question here is that this certainly sounds like I ran it dry from a
blown input seal. But 5th is making no noise. Does anyone have any thoughts
on why 4th would be showing signs and 5th isn't.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/
http://clubs.hemmings.com/vwsrus/