88 16V tranny noise

My 16V's tranny is making the sound of gears meshing up yet a little off.
There's no crunching sounds, just the tick of slightly off gears.  The tranny
shifts perfect in all gears and there is no sound on acceleration.  The sound
is noticeable when the car is decelerating and does not change tick rate when
the tranny is placed in any of the gears.

Just a little background info.............Back in 1992 I put in a 5th gear
conversion kit.  It seemed to work fine yet a couple of years later I noticed
kits being advertised for 16V trannys.  I wondered if I managed to make
something work that shouldn't have.  Everything was fine until May 2002 on a
trip back from Fla.  The 5th gear destroyed itself.  When I took it apart, I
noticed the smaller gear of the pair appeared to have some play (rocking not
twisting type).  I put the stock gears back on and yet this other noise is
happening.  Would the 5th coming apart destroy some other bearing in the
tranny.......possibly in the carrier?

Roy