George Dubya RX

>But yeah, there have
>been a number of tranny failures. However, before we blame Subaru,
here's >my challenge: Show me a high-performance AWD car (especially one
under >$25k) that does NOT have a "weak" tranny! The transmissions
aren't weak.

I'd say AWD DSMs don't have weak trannies.  Considering they break
half-shafts before they break gears.

Dude I'm not after Subaru, I just don't think they're "god's gift," if
you will :)

Joe Doty
IT/Development
joe@lcnetwork.com

Without traction, 2WD cars can spin tires all day long to release energy
and
bleed off power. It is a "relief valve" of sorts. AWD cars simply don't
have
that ability (unless you're making 500hp+, in which case you've got a
whole
new set of problems!). When you do a 7000RPM clutch drop in an AWD car,
the
energy has no where to go. Parts start flying. You think the R32 will be
different? Don't count on it. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of
irresponsible people driving WRXs.

> Also, Subaru's dealers are probably worse than VWs when it comes to
> warranty repairs on modded cars.  If you go to a Subaru dealer to get
> something fixed and they find ANYTHING on the car that has been
modified
> or replaced with a go-fast goodie, they put you on a nationwide
> blacklist that will allow them to refuse you service at ANY Subaru
> dealer.

Where did you hear that? Show the proof. I've heard those roumors, but
it is
simply NOT true. There is NO national "blacklist". It would be 100%
illegal
if it were. I've been told this by rather high-ranking SoA reps (not
dealers, but mfgr. reps). There are dealers that are pulling crap like
this,
but it is not the norm and it isn't right. Go to another dealer. If you
are
victim of any situation like that, DON'T LET THEM WIN.

However, if you show up at the shop with a blown tranny expecting a
warranty
fix, and they find hot-spots on your clutch, don't expect a lot of
sympathy!

I can only hope VW will act as well with the R32.

> However, I did see one go 10.7 at Famoso a couple months ago...only
took
> $5000 worth of transmission and $10000 worth of Australian crate motor
> to do it though :) One guy blew his $5000 dog box.

Of course. AWD cars with a lot of power WILL blow ANY transmission,
especially when drag-raced! Not much you can do when there is no "relief
valve".

Neal