Air meter plate size..

Actually, I've never seen a small metering plate. My 79 had the same
size as my 84, same as my 87 16V. So, you can't assume you have the
small one ;^).
It'll be obvious if you pop off the air duct. The small one is only ~2
1/4". The big one is >3".
If you do have the small one then it's probably easiest to swap the
whole thing including the fuel distributor.
Dan