Point of O2 sensor?...

>From: Ryan H <rhock99@epix.net>
>16V questions:  I thought the O2 sensor was to help the DPR determine fuel
>mixture, but Collin from TT told me to disconnect mine in order to see if
>it is working... Disconnected, the car doesn't run any different, so what's
>the point of the O2?

maybe he meant check dpr with sensor connected/disconnected? just
diconnecting it won't do anything, and you won't notice a change in engine
idle (most likely). you need to check your dpr current (check bentley) to
see if it's working. if it's stuck ~10ma, it's toast. fluctuating values
mean it's working.  also, you can check it directly by putting a GOOD
voltmeter to the green/black(black from the sensor, green from the ecu
harness) wire after you disconnect it. leave the white wires from the sensor
connected. you'll see a fluctuating .1-1 volt signal if sensor's working.
easier to check dpr though, imho.

>And while I have your attention, anyone know of what would cause low power;
>electrical related - i.e., after a little while of driving, power drops off
>badly.

many things can do this--in your case, make sure the car is tuned before you
go chasing gremlins.  bad o2 sensor will cause low power/missing, as will
timing, clogged air/fuel filters, etc. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...