Ideas for a (missing) radio face-plate?

Radio blank-outs were available as late as the A3s - both my 92 Golf and
97 Golf were purchased new without stereo and came with blank-out plates,
but I've never seen them available as separate parts, either on the fiche
or in ETKA. I have them both somewhere, but they've been lost in the sands
of time (or the tons of parts about the place.)

A cool option is the A2 stowage box: 191 857 233 N9 (satin black) which is
a DIN-30 size and fits in place of the stock radio (at least on an A2, I
expect it would fit a Mk2 console with little modification.

I have fit an A4 stowage box (fits where the optional in-dash cd goes)
into an A2, but it took a fair amount of trimming to do it.

Alternatively it's a great spot for a 3-guage panel, which is what I have
done with all my A2's - cut out the ashtray and moved the radio there, and
put a guage cluster in the radio's place.  Years ago I purchased one from
Rapid parts that was designed to snap into the stock radio location with
no mods for about $20 (a Zender piece.)  A cheaper solution is to find an
A1 Cabrio or Jetta and cut the panel out (look for one with a black
console, of course.)  The Jetta's all have the 3 guage holes in the
console - you have to pry the big "JETTA" nameplate out to see it.

Drew

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, John C. Worden wrote:

> At 06:16 PM 10/3/02 -0400, Ryan H wrote:
>
> >Hey guys, I have no radio in my car, and I plan to keep it that way for a
> >while.  The wires and the inside of the radio area looks nasty,
> >though.  Any ideas on something I can put there to cover it up?  I was
> >thinking of some kinda black plastic of about the same texture.  You guys
> >seem creative at things like this though...
> >
> >Ryan H.
> >
> >----------------------
> >I'll fix my car, even if I have to replace every part in it... and since
> >the problem will be the last part I replace, I'll have a brand new car
> >when I'm done!

> Not sure whether or not you have a MkI or MkII but I seem to remember
> seeing in the ETKA
> a radio blanking plate for the MkI.  Not sure if there is such a thing for
> a MkII.  You could also
> make one with a piece of aluminum(most sheetmetal shops will cut it to size
> for you) and some
> black wrinkle finish paint(I know Eastwood sells it, maybe someone local to
> you has it too).
> Speaking of these, if someone on the list has one for the MkI or an
> original Scirocco/Rabbit
> radio from the late 70's, such as '78 I'd be interested.
>

> John C. Worden
> Bucksport, Maine
>
> '98 Dakota 4x4-
> '86 Scirocco 8V-
> '81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
> '78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
> '92 Polaris Indy Deluxe

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel