[OT]Stupid XP question-

------------=_1037988346-28065-0

Ah, that's how it does it. Well, that would explain it. There are cracks galore on the web for Office XP that I know of, not sure about XP. As I have 2k and like it, I don't really need WinXP. Besides, it's really hard on resources. If anyone is interested, I have Win98-2k and can get WinXP Corperate. I also have Norton Anti-virus corperate. If anyone is interested in any of these, or are looking for other programs, send me an email off-list.

Dan

I'm sorry but most of you are pretty confused about this.  XP requires online registration.  Microsoft keeps a database of XP cd keys and ties it to various things about your computer to identify itself.  These are things such as your network card's unique id, your hard drive serial number, and a few other pieces of hardware.  Thats why, when you change too much hardware in your computer you must reregister XP with M$.  It also doesn't matter if you have internet or not, if you have the internet XP uses that to register itself with microsoft, if not it gives you a 25 didget number and must call an 800 number to get another 25 digit response from an M$ tech support person.  You have something like 15 days to do either of these processes before XP disables itself.  If you install XP on one computer and register it, and then install it on another computer and register it, the first computer will no longer work and will need to be reregistered.

You absolutley have to do this with XP home, XP pro, or office XP.

There are two ways to be exempt from this.

1.  Buy the corporate CD or obtain it from a friend, corporate requires you to buy at least a bundle of 5 but has activation disabled.

2.  Download the corporate CD from the net or download the neccessary files and hack your copy to be a coporate version.  The only problem with this is microsoft knows which copies are floating around the net and they check for these copies when you download Service Pack 1.   Basically you have to do a whole other work around to then get sp1 on.

So no, you can't put your copy on more than one computer unless somebody nice sends you the corporate CD.  However, if you just want the stability of XP then you can go with 2000.  It has no activation and is the same OS just without a few of the utilities and the new interface (which I turn off anyway).

Sign up for FREE email yourname@veedub.com
from http://www.veedub.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

------------=_1037988346-28065-0

[...]

<P>I'm sorry but most of you are pretty confused about this.&nbsp; XP requires online registration.&nbsp; Microsoft keeps a database of XP cd keys and ties it to various things about your computer to identify itself.&nbsp; These are things such as your network card's unique id, your hard drive serial number, and a few other pieces of hardware.&nbsp; Thats why, when you change too much hardware in your computer you must reregister XP with M$.&nbsp; It also doesn't matter if you have internet or not, if you have the internet XP uses that to register itself with microsoft, if not it gives you a 25 didget number and must call an&nbsp;800 number to get another 25 digit response from an M$ tech support person.&nbsp; You have something like 15 days to do either of these processes before XP disables itself.&nbsp; If you install XP on one computer and register it, and then install it on another computer and register it, the first computer will no longer work and will need to be reregistered.&nbsp; </P>
<P>You absolutley have to&nbsp;do this with XP home, XP pro, or office XP.&nbsp; </P>
<P>There are two ways to be exempt from this.&nbsp; <BR>1.&nbsp; Buy the corporate CD or obtain it from a friend, corporate requires you to buy at least a bundle of 5 but has activation disabled.</P>
<P>2.&nbsp; Download the corporate CD from the net or download the neccessary files and hack your copy to be a coporate version.&nbsp; The only problem with this is microsoft knows which copies are floating around the net and they check for these copies when you download Service Pack 1.&nbsp;&nbsp; Basically you have to do a whole other work around to then get sp1 on.&nbsp; </P>
--0-342609533-1037982599=:43098--